… The new institutional reality could be described as follows:
THE FIRST LAYER: COLLABORATIVE PLATFORMS
- At the core are the enabling collaborative socio-technological platforms, that allow knowledge workers, software developers and open design communities to collaborate on joint projects, outside of the direct control of corporate entities.
THE SECOND LAYER: OPEN DESIGN COMMONS
- Around the corporate platform is the open design community and the knowledge/software/design commons ruled by a set of licenses which determine the particular nature of the property.
THE THIRD LAYER: ENTERPRENEURIAL COALITIONS
- Around the commons are the entrepreneurial coalitions that benefit and sustain the design commons, create added value on top of it, and sell this as products or services to the market.
THE FOURTH LAYER: FUNDING ECOLOGIES
- In addition, there is a funding infrastructure.
THE FIFTH LAYER: THE PARTNER STATE AS ORCHESTRATOR?
- Finally, there is the role of public authorities and governments in orchestrating the public-private-common triad in order to benefit from the local effects of the new networked coopetition between entrepreneurial coalitions and their linked communities.